6 Tips on how to increase your house value
1. Extend. There are lots of ways you can do this. From adding a side extension, to a loft conversion (probably the easiest way to get another bedroom) to converting your garage. Let’s face it, who actually parks their car in the garage? Why not incorporate this space into your home. It might be disruptive for a period but the end results will be worth it.
2. Exterior. Look at the outside of your property. First impressions are crucial, especially if you are trying to sell your property. A lick of paint can really smarten up the exterior of your house and is relatively inexpensive. Make sure your garden is spick and span, cut the grass and trim bushes. Where off road parking is at a premium you could consider paving your front garden to accommodate this. You could leave any flower beds so the front of your house is still attractive, however this could really enhance your property.
3. Build a Conservatory. Increasing your living space is always a good idea. However choose what you buy carefully, conservatory’s can have a habit of looking like an afterthought. Go for one that’s in keeping with what your house and when decorating the interior it’s important to consider the flow of the space.
4. Update and improve. These days, one of the most important rooms in your house is the kitchen. A modern clean kitchen is very attractive to buyers so do this first. If you can’t afford to buy a completely new kitchen, simply buying new cupboard doors and work surface, or replacing a grimy floor can really alter the appearance of your kitchen. The second thing on the list should be the bathroom. Again, important to buyers. Bedrooms are perhaps not quite as important but can be easily updated with modern soft furnishings.
5. Change the windows. Modern double glazed pvc windows not only make your home more energy efficient, but really improve the appearance of your house. A simple, but effective home improvement.
6. Presentation. It may seem obvious but presenting your home is important. Tidy up, clear the clutter and clean. Again, if you are looking to sell your property it is unattractive to potential buyers to walk into last night’s washing up! Simple things like new cushions or throws can help to liven up your living space. Also, think about who your potential purchasers are and present your home accordingly. A spare room can be a nursery, a gym or a study!
Improving your home can be costly, however, you will be glad you have if you add value to the property, and there are some things you can do that won’t cost the earth. Even if you’re not looking to sell your house immediately, updating and modernising your home will improve your family life. Getting an estate agent in to value your property after home improvements might just make your day too!