Philips Park is on the south side of the river Medlock and Philips Park Cemetery is on the north side. The park has the distinction of being Manchester's first public park and opened in 1846. It was the first of its kind in Great Britain and it set the standard for many others that soon followed in towns and cities throughout Britain. It was designed to have walks, expansive lakes and glasshouses for exotic plants. It is also famous for its annual Tulip Festival, which is still held every year. Philips Park Cemetery was opened in 1863.